The control of modern gas and dual-fuel engines requires precise and dependable combustion data of each individual cylinder in order to run the engine close to its load limit with high efficiency while at the same time protecting it from overload. This is where AVAT combustion control devices come into the picture. They compute combustion parameters out of the complex sensor signals and transmit them to the engine controller via a CAN-Bus interface.
The unique strength of the E²CORE modules lies in the multi-variable control of the engine, taking into account all available manipulated variables. The result is a highly dynamic response to deviations and better efficiency while complying with emission limits.
Well-proven actuators are pre-stored as profiles and can thus be used immediately to power throttle valves, exhaust gas waste gates, turbocharger bypass valves, variable gas mixers or gas metering devices. Via the CAN interface, the modules of the E²CORE series can be easily integrated into various existing engine control systems. Typical inputs for common sensors are available.
With our E²SERVICE, a powerful service tool is available for their integration, commissioning and service.
- Fast and stable regulation of speed, power, mixture and boost pressure without overshoot
- Direct regulation and cloud monitoring for compliance with the NOx emission limits according to 44. BImSchV
- Direct connection of actuators and sensors
- All functions are integrated in an engine controller and comprehensively configurable
- Higher engine efficiency due to wastegate control
- Mixture control of lambda-1 or lean burn engines
- Lower emissions
- Input for two lambda probes (E²CORE-control+)
- Fast and stable compensation of temperature and gas quality variations
- Engine speed measurement with overspeed monitoring
- Most compact assembly on the market
- Library for Bachmann PLC included (others on request)
E²CORE-driver covers the fast and accurate position-control of two DC servomotors and a step motor. Well-proven actuators are pre-stored as profiles and can thus be used immediately to power throttle valves, exhaust gas waste gates, turbocharger bypass valves, variable gas mixers or gas metering devices.
E²CORE-control also independently regulates rpm, power, charging pressure and air/gas mixing on gas engines. In addition, E²CORE-control records the engine speed and power, boost pressure and sensors for mixture control. The real strength of the E²CORE modules lies in the multivariable control of the engine using all available actuating variables.
E²CORE-control+ additionally includes a direct connection to a broadband lambda sensor. The lambda signal can be acquired via CAN bus, analog input or via the direct connection on the module. The result is the fastest possible reaction time to deviations and optimized efficiency while complying with NOx emission limits according 44. BImSchV.
Structure Borne Noise
The E²KNOCKCON series offer reliable knock and misfire detection with high sensitivity in a compact size. Up to 20 sensors for structure-borne sound are mounted in appropriate places on the engine and connected directly to the E²KNOCKCON.
Using sophisticated digital signal processing algorithms the knock information is reliably filtered from the customary engine noises even under challenging acoustic conditions. E²KNOCKCON computes knock levels and ignition timings for each engine working cycle and transfers them to the engine control system or to the ignition system directly.
But there is far more useful data in structure-borne sound than that. E²KNOCKCON reliably detects misfiring and irregular combustion timings with no extra sensors and considerably faster than other methods.
- Suitable for any engine with the modules for 4 or 20 cylinders
- Cylinder-individual knock control
- Reliable misfire detection
- High sensitivity and selectivity
- Easy to integrate via CAN bus to engine control systems or PLCs
- Direct communication to ignition system (option)
- Library for Bachmann PLC included (others on reques)
With the E²KNOCKCON-c control components, the most compact modules for controlling up to 20 cylinders, with a multitude of additional functions, are available for use in stationary gas engines.
The marine version E²KNOCKCON-M, was specially developed by us for on engine operation. Likewise the use in harsh environments is certainly possible. The M-Series is already prepared for marine certifications according to ABS, BV, DNV GL and LR.
Cylinder pressure analysis
Using well-proven digital signal processing algorithms E²PRECON computes combustion characteristics for each cylinder and every combustion cycle. These are the key parameters engine builders need to implement advanced combustion control, monitoring and diagnosis.
Incorporating thermodynamic models, E²PRECON calculates net heat release and pattern of heat release rate (HRR). From this, the important combustion parameters start (SoC), duration (DoC) and center of combustion (CoC) are computed. Indicated mean effective pressures (IMEP), peak pressures and knock levels are also provided.
With the E²PRECON series we have been pioneering in the area of cylinder pressure-based engine control since 2006. E²PRECON offers comprehensive real-time cylinder pressure analysis in a compact size and supports a wide range of cylinder pressure sensors from various manufacturers.
- Suitable for any engine with the modules for 4, 12 or 20 cylinders
- Cylinder pressure based combustion control
- Cylinder-individual combustion characteristics
- Enables balancing, misfire and knock detection
- Interface to condition monitoring systems
- One service tool assists in engine diagnostics and optimization
- Library for Bachmann PLC included (others on request)
With the E²PRECON-c control components, the most compact modules for a cylinder pressure-based combustion control of up to 20 cylinders, with a multitude of additional functions, are available for use in stationary gas engines.
The marine version E²PRECON-M was specially developed by us for on engine operation. Likewise the use in harsh environments is certainly possible. The M series is already prepared for marine certifications according to ABS, BV, DNV GL and LR.
Designed for this very purpose, the AVAT NOx-control is a comprehensive solution that uses the NOx probe connection in the E²CORE-control+ multivariable controller to efficiently regulate the interaction of the engine and the SCR catalytic converter in real time.
Operators of power generation plants with CHP gas engines must now provide sufficient evidence that the legally prescribed limits are being observed. Technically this is usually met through the use of small NOx boxes that continuously measure and record the amount of nitrogen oxide in the exhaust gas.
However, this method alone only solves half the challenge for many plant operators. Simple monitoring does not change the NOx values of the engine. To benefit generators, suppliers, communities and the environment, technical NOx solutions must actively regulate the combustion process to ensure that fewer nitrogen oxides are actually emitted and the prescribed limits are consistently met.
- Direct control, including cloud monitoring
- Lower risk of exceeding NOx limits, which forces operators to intervene or report to authorities
- Reliable engine operation without safety margin from NOx limits for continued high efficiency
- Hybrid control for lean-burn engines with lambda control of NOx values inside the engine and subsequent admixture of AdBlue
Our E²CON-CHP gas engine and CHP control system features the E²CORE-control+ multivariable controller, which is designed to regulate probe operation, process measurement data (30-minute & daily averages) and provide continuous monitoring. Based on operating data from the gas engine and the NOx measurement prior to the SCR catalytic converter, the E²CON-CHP engine control system determines the necessary amount of AdBlue and immediately transfers that amount to the SCR system. This allows the engine to maintain optimal operation in accordance with the preset NOx values. The measurement values of the NOx probe are continuously checked for plausibility. If an engine knock or misfire occurs, the E²CORE-control+ will automatically switch to safe mode without NOx measurement to prevent engine damage.
All NOx and SCR measurements are recorded in the engine operating history, appear in the snapshots from the E²SERVICE software and are available for high-resolution diagnostics from anywhere in the world. To enable this, our E²CON-CHP engine control system transfers the encrypted measurement values to the AVAT CLOUD at regular intervals. If the internet connection fails, unsent data will be transmitted once the connection is restored. If a notifiable event occurs, an e-mail will be automatically sent to the saved address for notification.
In the AVAT CLOUD, data from all connected systems is archived for a minimum of 6 years and can be exported for further processing. The amount of data archived is significantly more than those supplied by many of the NOx boxes currently available on the market. The data is encrypted and password-protected and can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection.
Our cloud dashboard includes
- Plant status in terms of emission compliance
- Complete presentation of all emission-relevant events
- History of logged measurement values by day, week, month and year